Getting Started: Admin Checklist
The following three steps are required to use the Mapview for Salesforce managed package. Make sure you have followed all of the steps outlined in this guide.
If you still have questions contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Step 1: Install the Mapview Managed Package
- Step 2: Clone the Mapview User Permission Sets
- Step 3: Set Up Field Level Permissions
- Step 4: Enable Notes and Confirm Task Type availability
*The above list is a basic overview of the steps to be taken. Depending on your organization, you may have additional steps to take.
Step 1: Installation
Follow the steps below to install the Mapview for Salesforce managed package.
- Go to the AppExchange and search for Mapview.
- Click 'Get it Now'.
- Login to your Salesforce.com account or continue as a guest.
- Choose to install in your production or sandbox environment.
- Decide if you want to install for all users, specific profiles or admins only:
- If you install for 'Admins Only' only you or your admin will have access to Mapview. If you want a specific user or user profile to have access to Mapview, you will have to give them access later via permission sets.
- If you choose to 'Install for All Users' all Salesforce users will have access to Mapview. You will still be able to manage who is using Mapview via permission sets.
- Lastly, if you decide to 'Install for Specific Profiles' you will see a screen where you can choose the user profile, such as 'standard user', who will have access to Mapview.
Step 2: Permission Sets
Now that you have installed the Mapview managed package please login to Salesforce and follow the steps below to clone the Mapview permission set.
- In the upper right hand corner choose 'Setup' from the Settings/Gear icon dropdown.
- Next, in the left sidebar under 'Administration' open ‘Users' -> 'Permission Sets'.
- Click on the 'Clone' link next to Mapview Permission Set as shown below. (The Mapview managed package bundles this permission set to simplify the setup process. The permission set is pre-configured to allow the access of necessary Apex and Visualforce pages)
- If preferred, you can change the permission set details such as, a new label, api name or description, by clicking on the permission set and choosing 'Edit Properties'. Please do not edit any of the set permissions as it may disrupt the functionality of the app.
- When you are finished you will have two Mapview permission sets listed.
Step 3: Field Level Permissions
After you have set up the permission sets for Mapview you will need to set up field level accessibility for the task record. To do so please follow the steps below:
1. Go to Setup -> Platform Tools -> Objects & Fields -> Object Manager -> Task -> Fields & Relationships -> Type.
2. Click on ‘View Field Accessibility’ and then use the drop down box (‘Field Accessibility for Field:’) to confirm the fields Type, Location, Started On, and Completed On are all set to editable or read-only. If any of the above fields are set to 'Hidden', click on 'Hidden' and check the Field-Level security to either visible or read-only.
3. You will also need to confirm the Field Level Security for the Task field, once again this can be found at Setup -> Platform Tools -> Objects & Fields -> Object Manager -> Task -> Fields & Relationships -> Type Click on ‘Set Field Level Security’ and make sure it is visible for the appropriate user profile.
*The above mentioned fields ('Type', 'Location', 'Started On' and 'Completed On') also need to be added to the task page layout. If the fields are not on the task page layout, under 'Setup' go to 'Platform Tools' -> ‘Objects & Fields’ -> ‘Object Manager’ -> ‘Task’ -> 'Page Layouts' -> ‘Task Layouts’ and drag and drop the four mentioned fields to the page layout.
Step 4: Task Type Picklist Values & Notes Enablement
Editing Task Type Values
Please make sure Call, Meeting, Email, and Other are task type picklist values if you wish to use them within the application.
To activate any that are not set up, Go to Setup -> Platform Tools -> Objects & Fields -> Object Manager -> Task -> Fields & Relationships -> Type.
If they are not listed as shown below select 'New' and then enter the text for the missing task type and 'Save'.
Notes must be enabled for Mapview to work. To enable notes, go to Setup -> Platform Tools -> Feature Settings -> Sales -> Notes Settings and make sure the checkbox is selected.
Admin Tips: Managing Users
If you choose to 'Install for Admin Only' or 'Install for Specific Profiles', but want to allow a specific user to have access to Mapview you can follow the steps listed below.
This is not a required step if you installed for all of the appropriate user profiles at installation.
- Under Administration, go to 'Users' -> 'Users' and find the user you would like to have access to Mapview.
- Click on the user's name, then scroll down to 'Permission Set Assignments' and click 'Edit Assignments'.
- Click on both the Mapview permission sets and click 'Add' to assign them to this user. They should appear as the photo below. Click 'Save' to finish.
Admin Tips: Best Practices
1. If hidden fields are made visible to API for a given user profile then the Salesforce admin should advise users of that profile to delete all imported views and reimport the data in the Mapview for Salesforce application.
2. The Mapview for Salesforce app will retrieve at maximum 2,000 records for a given view regardless of how many records are present for a view of an object in the customer’s Salesforce org. Users may import multiple views.
3. If a user changes the view definition of a public or private view then the Salesforce admin should notify users to remove all imported data of that view and reimport the view again.
4. If a Salesforce record is changed using the edit functionality inside Mapview and the change makes that record qualified for another view then the change will not be effective inside Mapview for Salesforce until the user refreshes all views of the given object.
5. To ensure data encryption at the device level, users must have a passcode set to enter their device.
Next Steps: Review the Admin Screen Guide
Thank you for using Mapview for Salesforce! If you have any difficulties with installation please contact us or call us at 973.299.4700.